This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Upcycle a bushel basket into an adorable pumpkin decoration for your home!
Here's the easiest way to make a pumpkin leaf out of felt.
And how to make a curly pumpkin stem using a pencil!
Bushel Basket Pumpkin
- Chipboard Bushel Basket – Craft Store
- Natural Wrapped Floral Wire – Craft Store
- Craft Felt – Olive Green
- Wine Cork
- Craft Paint – Light Orange Primary Orange, Dark Orange
- Wire Cutters
- Chopstick or Pencil
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Plain Paper
- Straight Pins
- Gather all supplies. Carefully cut the rope handles from the edge of the basket or remove the wire handles.
- Basecoat the outside of the basket with primary orange craft paint. Make sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.
- Before the basecoat is completely dry, apply dark orange craft paint in the recessed sections of the bushel basket with random strokes.
- To accent the bushel basket, apply light orange craft paint with a dry paintbrush to the raised areas. This technique will give the paint a rough and inconsistent application.
- Draw a leaf shape onto plain paper and pin to olive green craft felt. Cut out the leaf with scissors, then repeat to cut out a second leaf. Use scraps of green fabric or scrapbook paper instead of felt.
- Measure and cut two twelve-inch lengths of natural wrapped floral wire with wire cutters. Brown chenille stems would also work if you have those on hand.
- Wrap wires around a pencil to create spirals, then remove. Pull and squeeze the wires to create pumpkin vines and then wrap around wine cork.
- Attach the wine cork stem, the vines, and the leaves to the top center of the pumpkin bushel basket with a glue gun and glue sticks. If you do not have a wine cork, use thick rope or a small tree branch as the pumpkin stem.